10 Reasons to Have a Family Mealtime More Often
When was the last time you had a family mealtime together? I don't mean sitting in the car munching on burgers from the drive-through. I mean sitting down at the table and sharing a home-cooked meal.
If you can't remember when you last enjoyed a family mealtime, make plans to have them more often. Experts have found - and continue to discover - plenty of benefits for both children and adults when they share a family dinnertime together at least three times a week.
A wonderful service that I have found and use on a regular basis is Dine Without Whine. They create family friendly weekly menu planners that help make my dinner time easier.
Here are 10 reasons why you should have a family mealtime more often:
Good For The Body
2. Children tend to eat more fruits and vegetables when they frequently have dinner with their families. They also tend to eat fewer snack foods. (Source: American Dietetic Association)
3. Children in families who eat dinner together are less likely to be overweight (Source: Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine). This makes sense, given the findings in #1 and #2 above.
Good For The Brain
5. When families eat together frequently, children have better language skills compared to kids from families who don't have family mealtimes often. (Source: Harvard University)
Good For Emotional Health
The kitchen is where family bonding happens.
7. Teenagers are less likely to use drugs, smoke, and drink alcoholic drinks, when their families eat together regularly. (Source: Columbia University)
8. It may come as a surprise, but among Moms who work outside the home, those who have family mealtimes reported feeling less stress than those who had family dinners less often. (Source: Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal)
9. The more often teen girls had meals with their families, the less likely they were to have symptoms of depression and suicidal behaviors. (Source: University of Minnesota)
Good For Family Bonding
I hope these reasons motivate you and your family to try and have family mealtimes more often. We're all busy - even children have plenty of after-school activities. But as the list above
shows, family meals are worth every effort we put into them.
Family Meals Articles
Making Meal Time Fun - The whole idea to making mealtime fun is getting the whole family together. If you can make it enjoyable, then it will be easier to make it a routine.
Be an Example for Your Kids Eating Habits - We all eat outside of our three meals a day and at some point you need to have a little talk about it with your kids.
Do You Feel Comfortable In Your Own Home?
Sign up for your FREE Family Manager Newz Ezine (worth $35.99) and you'll receive more mom tips, special offers, informative reviews, fun crafts and yummy recipes every month that will help you be able to say "it's good to be home!".
[?] Subscribe To
Enjoy This Site?
Then why not use the button below, to add us to your favorite bookmarking service?
Home | About Alicia | Contact Me | What's New | Free Stuff| | Reviews | eBooksTemplate Design
Privacy Statement | Site Disclaimer | Disclosure Statement